Thursday 26 March 2015

Family Photos: The Story on the Wall






           My parents always had a million pictures of my sister and I all over the house; baby photos, graduation photos and of course, many dance photos in hilarious costumes that seemed very cute at the time. While these pictures made up the majority of the décor around my family home I never really paid much attention to them, they were just a part of our home. It wasn’t until recently that I really acknowledged the beauty of family photos and how they can impact the overall feel of a home.

            A few weeks ago I attended a bridal shower for one of my life long friends. The mother of the groom and the groom’s sister hosted the shower in their family home. From the moment I stepped into the space there was a feeling of warmth and love. After a few minutes I realized what gave the space this feeling, photos. There were family photos all around the home taking up the majority of the wall space.  From an interior design perspective this might not be the best way to stage a home, but for me the pictures told the family’s story making the space a warm and welcoming place to live.
           
            My love for interior design began in my small childhood room and it has continued into my first home. Today there are so many television shows, websites and magazines that explain how to make your home beautiful, but with the birth of our son I have come to realize that while I love the details of design, what makes a home lovely is that it is alive and lived in. This realization came when I decided to trade clean wall space for yet another photo wall filled with pictures of our family. Thanks to the shower experience I learned that this is my home and that while I want to make it beautiful, I also want to tell a story in our space.

Spoiler alert: this is not your classic guide to home décor. Instead, these are two creative ways to tell a story on your walls.

1. The Family Photo Wall




a)    Start with a focal point and create the layout from there. I used  the Ung Drill Frame from IKEA with a heart-shaped  accent in the centre (this piece was something we found in England – giving it  sentimental value).




b)   Choose frames that fit in with your home’s colours and style, have fun with different shapes and sizes.

c)    Plan out your design before putting the frames on the wall. Do this on the floor and measure out the space. 

d)   Mount the frames before adding images (this will help you decide where you want each picture to be situated on the wall). You will need some tools for this ( a level, measuring tape, nails or screws, a screwdriver or a hammer). 

e)    Add your favourite photos! We had an amazing photographer for our family photos: check out Calluna Studios. 







2. The Photo Shelf (an easy alternative to the photo wall)




a)    Start by choosing your photo shelves: a good option is the PS 2014 Wall Rail from IKEA

b)   Based on the space you choose, decide how may shelves you would want and then stagger them on the wall.

c)    Select different size frames, they can overlap or be spaced out to create the look you want.

d)   Add accents to the space around the shelves to give the wall personality. I used stars (a great find from a country store in Peterborough).





e)    Add your favourite photos! The great thing about this option is that you can move the frames around and switch the frames at any time.


So the next time you are trying to find a way to brighten-up a space, consider using family photos and creating your own photo wall. If walls can talk why not let them tell your story. 






No comments:

Post a Comment