Thursday 7 May 2015

Mother’s Day Breakfast in Bed





Mother’s Day gifts can sometimes be a bit of a challenge, trying to find the perfect present for someone so special is not easy. It wasn't until I recently became a mom that I realized how simple this could be. This year is my first Mother’s Day and my husband keeps asking me what I want.  After some serious online browsing, window-shopping and discussion I've come up with one simple idea; breakfast in bed!

Finding the perfect gift for mom this year might be something as simple as spending Sunday morning in bed. I can remember the first time I tried to do this for my mom and while the toast was burnt, the coffee a mud puddle disaster and the eggs a runny mess; she was happy.  Simple and creative ways to spend time with mom might be exactly what she wants.

For me, my favourite part of the weekend is Sunday morning cuddle time with the whole family. Even our dog, Charlie, knows that Sunday mornings are best spent together in bed.


Photo credit: Heather Coughlin at Calluna Studios 


So how do you plan for a gift like this? By waking-up a little earlier than usual and preparing your mama’s favourite breakfast. Here are a few of my favourites.



COFFEE FIRST:  for this occasion you want to get her the best. A couple of my beloved beans include: Birds and Beans’ Guatemala Santa Rita and Muskoka Maple.



BLUEBERRY PANCAKES: after learning that my husband did not know we had pancake mix in the cupboard and made the most delicious pancakes from scratch a few weeks ago, these are a must have for me. Simply mix in a ½ cup of blueberries into your pancake batter (homemade or boxed will do) and then sprinkle a few fresh blueberries over a dollop of whip cream to make these special.

ROSEMARY BACON: this is something I've had a few times while out for brunch and absolutely love! You can't go wrong with this; who doesn't love bacon? All you need to do is add a little fresh rosemary once the bacon is almost done cooking and you've taken an already beloved breakfast staple and made it gourmet! 


BERRY BOWL: this adds something light and fresh to the meal. Just wash mom's favourite berries, sprinkle a little sugar on top and voila – simple, sweet and fresh.

If you're looking for a creative way to make mamma happy this Mother’s Day, consider these tasty twists on the classic breakfast in bed.


And to all the mamas out there, Happy Mother’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment