Friday 19 June 2015

My Husband's Haven: A Canadian Cottage Inspired Father’s Day





When my husband and I first started dating he was thrilled to show me his favourite place, the family cottage. 




While I wouldn't call myself an outdoorsy girl, as the years went on I too began to fall in love with my husband’s haven. 



This year we've already been on two amazing escapes with our little one to the family cottage and after a visit this past weekend; I couldn't help but notice just how happy my husband is when he’s there. It’s going to be amazing to watch him teach our little guy to fish, drive the boat and build fires as he grows up on the lake. This Father’s Day, I am planning a Canadian cottage inspired gift that reflects my husband’s love for campfires and dock-time. I'm also going share some theme-based ideas for dads based on a few beloved daddy destinations.



The Dockside Daddy (aka my husband)

For my husband, dock-time is his favourite time, whether he’s prepping the boat for a sunset cruise or hunting for kindling to build the biggest campfire possible, these comfy classics from Roots Canada are perfect for those cool cottage nights.

Roots Tracksuit (matching with my son’s … this is part of the surprise)

Canadian Pure Maple Syrup (another farmers' market find)
After the delicious breakfast in bed I had on Mother's Day, I think that we've started a new tradition. While I'm still deciding what to make for breakfast this Father's Day, I know it will involve some good old-fashioned Maple Syrup. Found this one at the Annette Village Farmers' Market and it came with a few fabulous recipes. I've literally been putting this stuff on everything lately. Stay tuned for a Maple Madness post coming-up on the blog. I'll share some fun ways to use Maple Syrup, adding a touch of sweetness to your everyday meals. 

The Daytona Dad

My dad loves the beach so much that if he could live in a beach shack, he probably would. This Beach Blanket from Old Navy is perfect for that waterside day-trip you've been planning with dad this summer.



The Backpacking Papa

If the dad in your life loves a good getaway, whether it’s hiking the Bruce Trail or backpacking through Europe, here is a fabulous find that will satisfy his taste for travel.


RCAF Travel Bag
 (from Chapters)

This is the perfect travel bag for all of the shower and shaving essentials that dad will need to take along on his travels. Check out the Red Canoe collection at Chapters/Indigo for more great travel accessories for dad.




When searching for that perfect gift I'm always trying to find something thoughtful, but also practical, and this Father's day I was inspired by the some of dad's favourite places and spaces.  

What inspires you when searching for a gift? Would love to hear some creative gift giving ideas. 















No comments:

Post a Comment