Thursday 2 July 2015

Five Reasons Why Being a Mom Made Me a Morning Person





Before my son was born I was the farthest thing from a morning person. My husband and I would spend most of Sunday in bed, only managing to get ourselves dressed and ready to go by 2:00pm. Having a baby totally changed this. I thought that having children would force me to wake-up early; I figured that’s what made parents get to the grocery store or park so early on weekends. I was wrong. Having children made me a “morning mama.” I now enjoy the morning more than any other time of the day and these are five reasons why:


     1. Baby Cuddles

My son is happiest and loves to cuddle in the morning, he stares at us from inside the mesh sides of his bassinet each day until one of us picks him up and brings him into the bed. As soon as we pick him up he lights up with a smile and snuggles in. This is by far the best part of my day.





2. The Idea of a New Start

I've been waking up for 28 years and I don't think I ever really understood the idea of  “a new day” until I became a mom. Each morning brings the possibility of something great! Even if I didn't have a chance to really close my eyes the previous night; because teething, constant feedings and continuous crying didn't allow me to; I am still so hopeful that this new start will be a good one. My son’s morning smiles are always uplifting and a suggestion that he might not turn into a mini-monster when darkness falls upon us the next night.







3.     Bathroom Bliss

I'm learning a lot about the world as a new mother. For example, I now understand why people want to create a bathroom oasis, or retreat. I always considered the bathroom a place to get things done and get out. Now I fully understand the whole “spa-like bathroom” idea. This part of my morning really is an escape, who am I kidding, I retreat into my “spa” a few times a day for a bit of bathroom bliss. It’s sad to say that I find a hideaway in my own home, but sometimes we all need to breathe even if the air quality is not the best.





     4.     Coffee

Before I was pregnant I loved the idea of coffee because the smell of it reminded me of people I love and parts of my childhood. My mother loves coffee so much she begins and ends each day with a cup, my grandmother’s house in the morning always smelled like coffee and Fruit Loops and I don't think my husband can function before a cup. During my pregnancy my love for coffee changed from an idea to an obsession. Knowing I wasn't allowed to have too much caffeine while pregnant, I decided that quality over quantity was the best way to conquer my cravings. So I began my search for the best coffee I could find, leading me to become a collector of coffees, or a “coffee connoisseur”. I began to fill our kitchen cupboards with coffee beans, most of which were saved for Sunday pots, an idea that I came up with to make sure we savoured the “good stuff.” Now, coffee is not just a delicacy it has become a part of parenthood survival, morning fuel and something to look forward to after a sleepless night.



     5.     Savouring the Silence

If I manage peel myself out of bed before baby and daddy there is a special kind of silence in the morning that I never experienced before motherhood. When this happens, I pour myself a cup of coffee, grab a seat by the window and savour the silence.




Has becoming a parent changed your view on mornings, afternoons or nighttime? What's the best part of your day? Would love to hear your stories. Please share in the comment box below.


No comments:

Post a Comment