Tuesday 10 February 2015

Baking up a Storm




Over the past few days, as we continue to anticipate the arrival of our first baby, baking has become an integral part of my daily routine, a way to start the day by completing a task. Most of the recipes I’ve tried have taken approximately one or two hours in total, if you count prep and clean-up time. It has become incredibly rewarding to start the day by completing a task, as if I can justify how I’ve been spending my time. A way to say, I did something today and I have something to show for it. And by the way it’s delicious!

The baking blitz started with some semi-healthy Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies I came across on pinterest, which made for an almost entirely guilt-free snack. The next day was yet another semi-healthy household favourite, Cranberry Crumble Muffins, a recipe that I’ve recently adapted into a loaf, a great breakfast alternative. Then my sweet-tooth kicked in and the decadence level began to rise quickly.

The third day was a Valentine’s inspired shortbread twist that I adapted from a recipe posted on Glitter Guide.  These Raspberry Shortbread Cookies  were quite the hit with my family and when paired with a cream flavoured tea were the perfect addition to an afternoon tea party and always ready if guests decide to stop by.



Finally, my most recent endeavour was a family recipe that would win over any chocolate lover’s heart. Butter Chocolate Brownies, the peak of decadence. These brownies with their crisp exterior and chewy centre literally melt in your mouth.

If you’re having a hard time trying to think of a great gift for that special someone this Valentine’s Day, why not make him or her something delicious that you can share!

INGREDIENTS FOR BROWNIES

1 brick of butter (or 2 cups)       
2 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
11/2 teaspoons baking powder

DIRECTIONS FOR BROWNIES

1.     Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees  
2.     Grease a 9”x 13” baking pan. Set aside.
3.     Melt butter, add sugar and beat together.  Add one egg at a time to your mixture. Add vanilla extract.
4.     In a separate bowl mix flour, cocoa and baking powder.
5.     Add dry mixture to wet mixture slowly. Stir until completely blended.
6.     Pour mixture into your greased baking pan.
7.     Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the centre of your brownies are firm.
8.     Let cool for approximately 10- 15min.
9.     Cut brownies into squares, serve and enjoy!




For me baking brought out some incredibly creative thoughts, taking my mind off of the fact that I am officially three days over-due. In fact, the ideas for this blog and most of its writing came between melting butter and tasting treats!

1 comment:

  1. Looks Yummy Vanessa, thanks for sharing your creations...Thinking of you! xo

    ReplyDelete